Our odds calculator can assist if you’ve ever wondered how likely you are to win a wager with odds of 3 to 5. You may now compute the percentage possibility of winning or losing once you’ve supplied the betting odds and determine if the payoff is worth the risk. You’ll also learn how to use the odds equation to compute the odds ratio.

What are the odds…?

In most cases, the chances are expressed as a ratio. So, for example, your favorite football team losing a game has a 1 to 5 chance of losing. Likewise, you have a 1 in 10,000 chance of winning a lottery. The odds of the dog you bet on winning the race, on the other hand, may be as high as 4 to 3.

What do these numbers imply? First, there are two odds ratios: “winning odds” and “losing odds.” The first number represents the chances of winning, while the second represents the possibilities of losing (of losing). The sequence of these values is reversed for “odds of losing.”

How to calculate odds

Our betting odds calculator goes a step further and determines the winning and losing percentage probabilities. The squad would win five of the six games and lose one. We may state that the odds of winning are 5/6 = 83.33 percent, while the chances of losing are 1/6 = 16.67 percent, by converting fractions to percents.

Do you understand how we arrived at this figure? If not, have a look at the following formulae for calculating odds:

Probability of Winning = Chances of Success / All Chances

Likelihood of losing = Chances against success / all chances

All possibilities are equal to the sum of the chances for success and the chances against success.

How to use the odds ratio calculator: an example

Find out how to calculate the odds as a ratio. Let’s assume you have a 5 to 14 chance of winning a school lottery.

Determine which number indicates the likelihood of success (winning) and which number represents the likelihood of failure (for losing). There are five possibilities for success and fourteen chances for failure in this situation.

Add up all the possibilities: 5 + 14 = 19.

Calculate your chances of winning using the following odds formulas: 5/19 = 26.31 percent

According to the odds formulae, the likelihood of losing is 14/19 = 73.68 percent.

Using the betting odds calculator, double-check the outcome.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I convert odds to probability?

To calculate probability given odds, you need to divide the odds by one plus the odds:
probability=odds/(odds+1) Example: If odds are 5:1, then the probability is 5/(1 + 5) = 5/6 = 83.3%.

How do I convert probability to odds?

To calculate odds given probability, you need to divide the probability by one minus the probability:
Remember to replace 1 by 100% if the probability is given as a percentage. Example: If the probability is 35%, then odds are is 35% / 65% = 0.53.